Facts and Statistics
93% of juvenile sexual assault victims know their attacker "
- Only 7% of the perpetrators are strangers to the victim
- 34% of attackers were family members
- 58% were acquaintances
- Age 12-34 are the highest risk years
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12
- 29% are age 12-17
- 44% are under age 18
- 80% are under age 30
- Girls ages 16-19 are 4 times more likely than the general population to be victims of rape, attempted rape, or sexual assault.
About 3% of American men have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime
In 2003, 1 in every 10 rape victims were male
2.78 million men in the U.S. have been victims of sexual assault or rape
1 out of every 6 American women have been the victims of an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime
National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey. 1998.
U.S. Department of Justice. 2004 National Crime Victimization Survey. 2004
U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics. 2000 Sexual Assault of Young Children as Reported to Law Enforcement. 2000.
La Piñon staff and advocates provide responsive, flexible presentations and professional training sessions concerning sexual assault issues and safety. If you think it would be beneficial to host a La Piñon presentation, please request a presentation or get in touch.